Monday, September 1, 2008

Channel Islands- In Bikini Briefs



Well, I have been most remiss in posting something about my trip to the Channel Islands. I have one word- AWESOME. I hope to add some text and some amusing anecdotes for entertainment purposes, maybe some natural history blurbs at a later date, but to whet the appetite, I present, with glee, a few photos...

First, the next installment in the "Where has our tent been?" series. You can just see Santa Cruz in the distance across the channel. I pitched the tent outside of the windscreen to see how it handled some serious wind. And the verdict is...B+/A-. I was really very very pleased with the tent and its response to the forces of nature. I think if I had reoriented just a touch, it would have been even better. One complaint- the plackets of the zippers on the fly sound like helicopters taking off...


Ayshe, Timur's mom, and I set off on a 14 mile (roundtrip) hike to the East Point on the, wait for it, east side of the island. We found a beautiful and deserted cove that was absolutely sensational. I wanted to make friends with the seals relaxing in a nearby kelp bed, but no such luck. 


Incidentally, the Crazy Creek Hexalite chair? Fan-freaking-tastic. I'm never leaving home without it again. Rolls up and fits in a water bottle pocket and weighs roughly a pound. 

Because I have just a touch of a masochistic side, I brought not just the digital camera, but also lugged along the old Nikon. I scanned in some of the black and white photos, shared here for your viewing pleasure. 


So, some final words perhaps? I'll be back and I hope to bring some of you with me. 

No comments: